Thursday, November 10, 2011

Snow. Not the band. (Lesson 10 included)

Well, hello there.

A good friend just posted something on Facebook about seeing some snow in her neck of the woods. I laughed to myself in a very "Better YOU than ME" kind of way. That was short lived as seconds later she said that her sister had seen some snow in my own neck of the woods. Dislike!

(Tangent: I spell neck wrong, every. single. time. Or maybe Mr. Webster spelled it wrong to begin with - perhaps it truly is spelled Kneck. You Know, like Knee. )

It's not that I hate snow, I just prefer it to be warm. I like going outside. Sending kids outside daily is even better.

"Why don't you send them outside anyway?'", you ask.

Obviously, you've never spent 20 minutes trying to find matching gloves (mischevious Knitted little things, they like to hide and induce crazy in mothers worldwide), another 20 minutes arguing about the necessity of layers and hats, and then another 20 minutes trying to find that same tricky bastard of a glove that you JUST had.

You've apparently never sent your now properly bundled, bundles of joy outside only to hear, moments later, a small, meek knock at the door. Against your better judgement, you open the door, only to be greeted by a chorus of sad, pitiful, little children who exclaim, "IT'S COLD!".   Resisting the appropriate, though inappropriate, response of "DUH!" is rather hard to do. 

Spouting off hypothermia facts in an effort to keep them outside is also difficult.  "Web MD says you can be out there for 25 minutes before it's dangerous. You have 23 more to go! Keep moving - Get the blood flowing! You're not coming in!" Of course, the neighbors look at you funny as your children huddle like hobos on your front porch while you yell these things from the sunny and 70 degree beach that is your living room.

When there is a ton of snow, it's much different. I'm begging the big ones to come back inside despite their protests of "IT'S NOT COLD!". They look at me with freezing red cheeks and snot now forming icicles from their dangling noses. "We're fine!" They exclaim. They start throwing the hypothermia facts back me through their chattering teeth: "MOM! We have 7 more minutes! Google it!"

Sigh.

We've had it pretty easy thus far with temperatures being pretty mild, even enjoying the occasional 60 degree day. I don't even have a winter coat for baby John because we haven't needed one yet. Long sleeves and fleece hoodies have been sufficient. Looks like I'll be buying him a new coat ASAP as well as stockpiling the bane of my winter existence some gloves.

+++
Lesson 10: I am thankful all of my kids will have nice, warm, winter coats to wear this season. I am thankful I am easily able to remedy the lack of one for John. I am thankful they will have hats and gloves to find. Because somewhere, right now, there is a mama fretting on how she is going to swing the same thing for her little one.

The Salvation Army always collects Winter Coats and hands them out to families who need them. It's as simple as dropping them off at one of their free standing collection bins or visiting one of their stores. If you know a struggling family in need of a coat, you can visit the Salvation Army Website for more information.