Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lesson Three: Slacker?

I tried to start this nearly last minute post by being funny and talking about how I am so NOT thankful for the procrastinating cape I so ashamedly wear. I sit here looking at a pile of laundry in a chair that needs to be folded and put away, toys that need to be straightened, and a floor that needs vacuumed for the fourth, FOURTH, time today.  I have dinner dishes still to do and a kitchen floor that really should be mopped before the morning.

It's 10:32pm. Shouldn't all of this be done by now? 

I rightfully call myself a slacker sometimes and it's totally true.  But this time....it felt off. Instead of a self depreciating joke, it felt like a lie. Where the heck in my day did I necessarily slack?  It's not like I sat on my tooshie all day and did nothing but stalk facebook, eat my bonbons and remark about how handsome David Duchovny is and how that X-Files show might just catch on, one day.

I only do that on Tuesdays.

If finishing up my housework so late in the evening makes me a slacker, than so be it. I am thankful for the title. You know why?

I am thankful I chose to spend the hours where my entire family was together actually engaging with them instead of fretting over the remaining dishes in the sink. I am thankful for the time I spent laughing with them during a two hour power outage instead of worrying about how I was going to vacuum. I am thankful for the time I spent cooking instead of throwing fast food at my family. I am thankful for the time Wil and I spent reading the Bible together today. I am thankful for the moments I spent in prayer. I am thankful for taking time to listen and converse with a good friend. I am thankful for the 35 times I sang the itsy bitsy spider with John. I am thankful I chose write in an effort to continue my commitment to writing daily.

I am thankful I chose to do all of these things because these are the intangibles that can't be put off until later. Too soon will it be difficult to have an evening when we are all here, together. Chores can be accomplished once everyone goes to bed but conversation and laughter cannot.  I can deal with a little less sleep in lieu of a little more love.

Maybe I should let you borrow my cape, it's totally worth it.



P.S. I really do have to face all these chores now. Don't think for one second that it's not totally tempting to um...rightfully and genuinely SLACK this very moment. But alas. It would all still be there in the morning and our maid hasn't shown up for weeks!