Saturday, May 28, 2011

We Can HOPE.

A wise fellow once told me - "Often times, the right thing to do is also the hardest thing to do."

I have had that advice on my heart recently - and was only going to post that sentiment. I became distracted when I felt the need to read the devotions I have subscribed to on a long term basis. (I've posted about Proverbs 31 before.). In typical Melissa fashion, my attention deficit disorder flexed it's skittish muscles and my eyes noticed another email - my bible verse of the day (another one I've received for the past several years). 

This was the verse and it is of no coincidence that it followed the above wisdom shared by a previous mentor:

Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead -- since he was about a hundred years old -- and that Sarah's womb was also dead. Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.

If you don't know, Sarah and Abraham went on to conceive a child - because they prayed, trusted, loved and HOPED.

Even when we are faced with the most difficult situation of our entire lives or one that seems so bleak, we can HOPE.

Webster describes HOPE as verb: To Expect with Confidence.

We pray that I will mimic the faith and hope Sarah and Abraham taught us by their lives, in all situations.


Psalm 40:1-2, "I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and the mire; He set my feet upon a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." (NIV)