Thursday, January 6, 2011

Teething Troubles, or Not!


Baby John is apparently a better teether than I am, for sure! His second tooth appeared recently and as you can tell by this picture, we are both SO glad.

In my parenting experience, cutting teeth is the worst of infancy. It's really the first time babies are brought out of their absolute comfort - up until now, life has been pretty grand. Then, all of a sudden - somewhere between 4 and 7 months, BAM! Hello teeth, Hello Discomfort. The biting (ha!) side effects of teething can range from the mild: A TON of drool, and chewing on everything possible; To the more uncomfortable: tenderness, food avoidance, swelling, fussing, and sleep deprivation.

It's hard to watch your little one be uncomfortable, especially since your entire goal is to make him as comfy as possible. I've found the most simple things make the most impact when it comes to alleviating teething troubles.

Frozen washcloths are a super quick, super cheap way to numb some of that gum pain away. I typically let mine sit for a few minutes so they are not freeeezing cold, but cold enough to work. You should make sure you are in a warm spot, and that you have an extra outfit handy - because between the melting ice and the drool - you'll need one. I also testify to the genius of these old fashioned teethers - they really do work. I also like to take a clean finger and massage the sore spots, and let him chomp on my hands. If they are really hurting, you can also administer some infant pain reliever, though I try to avoid that as much as possible. We were able to manage without any.

John was actually quite mellow - which seems to be the theme of his demeanor. He did drool enough to fill an Olympic size swimming pool (unlike his sisters, slobber does not gross me out). He also chewed on everything imaginable (him chewing on my flip flop DID gross me out). He was very finicky with his sleep - but that was easily remedied by snuggling down next to me (we co-sleep a lot, but he also sleeps next to us in his sleeper) and feeding him on demand (about 3 oz every 2 hours or so). I really can't complain too loudly....

 ....yet.

 The other thing about teething is that it takes FOREVER.

He does have 18 other teeth to cut, you know.