Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 17 - Ban those Books?

A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.

Ok, so believe it or not - I'm, um...a conservative. No! I am NOT kidding! It's shocking, I know. It goes against most people's perceptions of me - and even more so if you know Wilo, because he's um....RIDICULOUSLY AND LOUDLY LIBERAL. 

Whew. Sorry. I just really felt the need to emphasise that. I'll resume my inside voice.

Anyways - my point of telling you that - is for years, I bought the hype the conservative parties threw out regarding...books that should be banned.

GASP! But, Melissa you say - HOW COULD YOU?! I mean, you say you love reading, and literature and the arts...but you would actually avoid a so called banned book!?

Yes, Yes I would...for the longest time. I guess I just bought the propaganda that those books were just bad.  

Now, this shocked and disgusted my liberal hubby who is an avid reader, by nature, Who despises censorship... also by nature. He was all like..."Whhhaaaatttt? YOU? YOU of ALL people buy into this garbage?" And I'm all, "Well HELLOOOO, there IS controversy for a reason!" He's like..."WHAT reason?! Have you READ it? Read the book, form your OWN opinion!"...  I'll save you the exact debate, but you get the point.

THEN.

This series called Harry Potter came out.

And it was highly debated.

And there were many people working towards banning it from schools.

I was all like..."THAT book, is NOT coming in my house."

Wilo was all..."Like Hell it ISN'T."

So he bought it, brought it home and spent the next 2 or 3 days reading it. I am sure I was probably snotty about it - it's a little in my nature, sometimes! - but when he was finished, he came to me and said: You MUST read this book. You must, must, must, must, MUST read this book. He told me it was by far, one of the best stories he's ever read. And, he's always been rather well read.

I have to admit, the thought of reading a banned book seemed sooooo bad girl-ish, to me.  Picture that hot librarian, in those hot glasses, naughtily sneaking way behind a bookshelf tooo.....read a banned book... /sexy evil laugh.  It was like breaking the rules - touching something off limits, something wrong and forbidden - I couldn't stop myself.

So, I read it.

and LOVED it.

L-O-V-E-D it, and have read the entire series, since.

I could not fathom why anyone would want to ban such a book. It was imagination, and creativity, and excitement. It was incredibly well written, and non offensive. Why, oh why, would anyone want to stop people from reading something sooooo goooood???

And um....perhaps all those the other debated books that "should be banned", SHOULD NOT BE BANNED, either.

Perhaps we should all read them for ourselves, and base our own opinions....and perhaps no one should have the right to BAN someone elses writing.

Thanks, Harry. 

Thanks, Wilo.