Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sisters!

I was watching my daughters this past weekend - and it made me think about them being sisters. There is a very interesting dynamic between them. I think there is something interesting, unique and special between most sisters.

I have a sister. She's beautiful, talented, ambitious, warm, and caring. She's currently in College - studying to be a teacher. I am so incredibly proud of her. I can't even find the words to describe it - I'm just realllllllllllllly proud of her. I think I'm honored to be her big sister.

It is a lot easier for us to relate at this point in our lives - there is a 9 year age difference between she and I. She's an adult now - and I find her youth to be refreshing. (That's just about the oldest sounding sentence I think I've ever written. I am one word away from saying hooligans there, no?) Anyways - when we were growing up, I felt the age difference. I was the oldest, she was the youngest - with two brothers in between. There is not much a 12 year old and a 3 year old have in common, you know? I was more her big sister in the responsible, loving, caregiver kinda way. Like I said, the age difference becomes smaller and smaller as you become older, though...at least in our case. I think we are closer now than we have ever been, and I think that will continue to happen.

My girls are 5 1/2 years a part. Right now, they feel the age gap a little.  While they enjoy playing the same things - babies, house, barbies, school, office, fashion - they both play them differently than each other. Abby likes to have her more grown up versions of "the game" and Raegan still likes to pretend she's a princess in every scenario. This irritates Abby sometimes - she'll say something like: "Ummmm...NO Raegan, You CAN'T be the princess, you are just a regular girl in my classroom!!". Raegan, of course, can't stand hearing this and overreacts, and I end up with a teary eyed Raegan..sniff sniffing, frowning and telling me how you can be a princess anywhere and Abby was a mean, mean teacher.

I wonder where they will be as that 5 years becomes smaller and smaller. I mean - flash foward - Raegan is 16 and Abby is 21! Ohhhhh My. Wilo better get ready for that! I better get ready for that!

As I was pondering the relationships between my two girls - I became curious of all of you. Many of you have a sister too. Some of you have two, or even three! Some of you are very close in age, some of you are very far a part. Some of you are the Older Sister, Some of you are the Younger sister. Some of you are close, some are friends and some are enemies.

If you have a minute, I invite you to tell me your thoughts on your relationship with your sister and how it's matured from childhood to adult hood, and the dynamic between you both. You can say as much or as little as you would like. This is just for my own personal knowledge, I'm not gonna bust out your business on the world wide web, I'm just curious and excited to get to know you better. You can leave me a comment on this Facebook post, or you can send me an email, or you can even call a sista if you have my digits, yo!

Thank you for playing : )