Wednesday, October 27, 2010

30 Days: Day 13, HOOOOKAHHHH.

A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)

Dear Ekoostik Hookah:

Ok, I know it's been a long minute since we last saw each other, and I know that you don't have any recollection of who I am, but..I'm doing this blog deal where I have to write daily for 30 days, and today's topic is to write a letter to a band who's gotten you through some tough ass days. (Their words, not mine).

Well, dahlings, I chose you.

And trust me, it was no easy task in deciding who to chose either - feel special! You beat out The Dead, Sublime, Mike Perkins, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash.. amongst others. I love music - and have several 'special' bands who have paved my rough days with sunshine.

I chose you for a few specific reasons....

You represent a time in my life where I was completely free. I was barely an adult, with no real job and no real responsibility. All I was concerned about was being kind, peaceful and getting to the next show to dance my tooshie off with good friends and a couple hundred other free spirits.  You see, now.... I'm married with FOUR kids. Yes, you read that correctly FOUR kids. I am also well into adulthood and have responsibility pouring out my ears, and spilling all over my already messy floor, which is also my responsibility to clean up.

I "met" my husband at your Halloween show on October 31, 1999. Well, I guess that's a lie- I had met him once briefly and previously before then. But, it was THAT show, and THAT night that changed everything - it changed my life forever, no joke!

That my dear friends, was 11 years ago.

DUDE, I know. That's like...forever. It's like the never ending one night stand, no?

We saw many of your shows for several months when we first were together..and then this thing happened that kinda deterred us from dancing and twirling and living life with no responsibility... I kinda, um, got pregnant and 9 months later gave birth to a beautiful little boy. I made him listen "Where the Fields Grow Green" while he was in utero, and I swear he took over the spinning and shaking for me. I married his Daddy that following year.

Even though we weren't at many of your concerts in person - we still 'followed' you. We kept up with you through friends, and the Internet. We always jammed your music at home and danced as a family, even though we were far removed from Hookahville.

The best thing you gave me - was a soundtrack to one of the best times of my life. Whenever I am feeling blue, or frustrated or confined by the life I now lead, I know that I can very easily slip away by listening to YOU. I am so pleased that you all are still making music - I know some things have changed, but you are still very much you.

Maybe, just maybe, one day - 11 years later, The hubby and I will shuck responsiblity for a night and come dance our 30 year old tooshies off, and remember what it felt like to be 17, 18, 19 and 20 again.

Thank you for giving me memories that have lasted a life time.